For today’s post I wan to share about an article I read. The title was 20 things you did not know about violence. Some of those
- We live in violent times (1.5 million people globally kills each other per year)
- In the 20th century 0.7% fatalities are attributed to war.
- We see and perceive the world as a more violent place because of the 24/7 news cycles and constant use of social media that exposes us to violent images.
- Famous psychologist Steven Pinker thinks that we are likely to become less violent due to the higher literacy rates.
I also learnt that:
- As of December 23, a total of 12,942 people had been killed in the United States in 2015 in a gun homicide, unintentional shooting, or murder/suicide.
- From 2005 to 2015, 71 Americans were killed by terrorists’ acts on the US soil. 301,797 were killed by gun violence in this point.
- Mass shootings are measured by four or more people shot, regardless of total fatalities, have taken place in 100 different areas over the past 12 months. Austin, Texas is the only large city that has not had a mass shooting since 2013.
- Black men are disproportionately affected by gun violence. Of the 30 Americans murder with guns everyday, 15 of them are African Americans and this is shocking if we take on consideration that only the 6% of the population are black.
-A remarkable 75 percent of children killed with guns this year have been under the age of 12.
-Kids younger than three have gotten ahold of guns and shot someone at least 59 times this year
-Guns are now ending as many American lives as cars. This is due to the climbing of suicides rates.
- There are more people in America who own 10 or more guns than people in Denmark.
Does guns should be banned? Or does expanding the background checks would in fact reduce gun crimes?
The administrator has disabled public write access.